Here is a clever twist on the usual burger, and it makes a great Paleo dinner idea that can be eaten as leftovers for a quick lunch. This Paleo salmon cakes recipe combines canned salmon and steamed sweet potato to make a yummy Paleo “burger”.
Using canned salmon saves you time and energy: you won’t have to spend much time prepping this healthy recipe.
If you’ve been searching for Paleo salmon cakes recipe you should really give this one a try. It doesn’t have many ingredients and it doesn’t take you long to prep it.
I have to admit I’m not a great food photographer…so these salmon cakes taste better than they look in the picture below. 🙂
Ingredients for this Salmon Cakes Recipe
- 1 Medium Sweet Potato
- 250 gram can of Wild Salmon (I prefer Sockeye)
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 Cup of Almond Flour
- 1/4 Cup of Green Onions
- 1 tsp of Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp of Black Pepper
If you don’t have have green onions don’t worry. You can go without.
Directions to Make these Salmon Cakes
- Preheat the oven at 400-degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash and peel the sweet potato and steam it until it’s soft. (I use a steamer basket over a pot of boiling water.)
- Once the sweet potato is soft put it into a bowl. Open up the cans of salmon, drain off most of the liquid and add the salmon to the bowl. Mash the sweet potatoes and salmon together.
- Add the remaining ingredients into the bowl. Mix together well.
- Form 8 patties and spread them out on the baking sheet.
- Bake the Salmon burgers for 30 minutes total (flip the patties at around the 15 minute mark).
You can eat these Paleo salmon cakes on their own, or wrap them in a large leaf of lettuce to have them as a burger. You can purchase Paleo mayonnaise that is delicious as a condiment on these lettuce-wrapped Salmon burgers.
These would go well with a side salad, or any of the Paleo side dishes listed below.
Paleo Side Dish Ideas
Here are a few Paleo side dish ideas that will go well with these homemade Salmon burgers.
I personally like having “burgers” with sweet potato fries, but since sweet potatoes are in the salmon cake…that may be overload for some people, and it may hinder weight loss if they’re consuming too many carbs.
Almond Butter Chicken Stir Fry (another easy Paleo recipe)